It’s Saturday evening, just one last full day of “freedom” before I start my second go at The 21-Day Sugar Detox. I participated in the detox last month, leading up to Christmas. It was hard, but worth it. My cravings weren’t curbed, but I ate a heck of a lot better than I would have if I didn’t commit to doing the detox. It was just too hard to curb the cravings with all the holiday-time stimulation!!
Plus, I wasn’t as prepared as I would have liked. I started off with not much more than eggs, because of mix ups with both of our paychecks, the fact that we zero-balance budget so a delay in our paychecks was a big deal, and my stubbornness not to dip into the emergency fund when I can just buck it up and eat eggs that we had plenty of!
This time, I’m much more prepared. So far I have:
- three servings of paleo/21DSD/carrot free albondigas soup frozen for lunches… we inhaled the rest
- “buttermilk” buns from the 21DSD Cookbook
- plenty of avocado oil to make more mayo, as needed
- egg salad for sandwiches with the buns for Monday & Tuesday
- lots of primal, full-fat cheeses and boar’s head salami (certified gluten free, and the only sugar/sweetener-free salami I’ve ever found) for lunches and snacks
- pistachios, of course.
- my favorite salad dressings already made up
- plenty of organic guac
- butternut squash sliced up, and more in the pantry (I’m doing the energy modification.)
- coconut butter for making the lemon meltaways
- sugar-free bacon
- sugar-free & primal friendly sausages
- & a freezer full of meats for the first week or more
I just feel like I need to make two more batches of bone broth to freeze, since I’ve used all the bone broth I have made and liked. Like I said in my wrap-up post from the last 21DSD, I really couldn’t make myself like bone broth… and I suspected it was because I couldn’t include carrots because of my intolerance. Then – miracle of miracles – Sprouts got in more celery root! And that combined with peppercorns, even Jeff wanted the broth straight up on it’s own.
I also need to stock up on more veggies, I’m super excited about having a new food processor to make cauliflower rice in!
Oh, and I stocked up on a lot of teas today… World Market was having a one-day sale, half off all teas.
I’m in love with this vanilla rooibos. I dislike the plain Twinings rooibos, but with vanilla? My goodness, I’m in heaven. I think I’ve already had seven mugs full. My friend Bekki and I have tried to find the Tazo vanilla rooibos, because she’s tried it but ran out, but it seems like maybe Starbucks stopped carrying it? So we both got super happy when we found this today.
I also grabbed “Get Clean,” also by Republic of Tea, because it has milk thistle… which supposedly will help my skin issues I had last 21DSD.
I’m really looking forward to starting the detox again, I’m actually eating mostly on plan already now that the holidays are over… but still having some things like regular bacon, oh and wine! The timing is perfect too, because one of my best friends just moved away… again… and I need something “new” to focus on instead of feeling lonely now that once again, all my best girlfriends are living out of the area.
Don’t hesitate to ask any questions or ask for help if you’re considering doing the detox as well! You wont regret it, it’s one of the best things I’ve ever done for my health and fitness. Second to maybe only to discovering the right sports bra.